Owning or buying a knife is just the first step. Most knives in the market today are very safe, reliable and don’t really need maintenance.
Just because the packaging says that the knife is rustproof or stainless, that does not mean that you should just leave it out in the open. Aside from being a hazard to everyone, even the best quality stainless-steel knives or carbon steel knives still run the risk of rusting without the proper care or storage.
You need not worry though; in this article we will show you the different ways to properly store knives to optimize space, prevent rust and assure everyone’s safety. No matter what is being stated in this article, it is always important to educate oneself of the proper and basic ways of handling knives.
Storing your knife
There are a lot of options and techniques out there on how to properly store knives. We will be discussing some of them here.
- The Magnetic Knife Strip – A magnetic knife strip is designed to be attached to a wall. The strip is designed to hold multiple knives at the same time. This option is best for those who want to optimize space and keep their drawers and other parts of their work space clear. This way of storing knives is perfect for kitchen use.
- The Knife Block – The knife block is a large unit that was designed to house multiple knives. Most of knife blocks are made of wood, these storage unit have different sized slots to accommodate different sized knives. There is also a magnetic version of this storage which allows you to stick the knives on the exterior of the block. This makes it easier for you to find the right knife for the job.
- Knife Guard – This is a simple yet very effective way to let you store knives almost anywhere. The knife guard is a simple plastic cover that slide snugly over the knife. Much like a sheath, it protects your knife and keeps everyone at home safe.
Since we are talking about knives in general, there are a lot of ways to care for your knives. As mentioned in the beginning all products out there were specially design to last for a long time, but that does not mean that you should neglect to care for your knives.
Here are some tips you can follow to properly care for your knives:
- Find a good place to store knives – It is always a good idea to store knives in the most ideal places. Aside from knife care it also eliminates the hazards that a knife in the open presents.
- Always keep your knives dry – As we all know water is one of the common reasons why many types of metal rust. So it’s common sense to always keep your knife dry.
- Always clean your knife – As soon as you are finished with your knife, it is a good idea to keep it clean. The reason behind this is that the things that get stuck on your knife will affect its performance and health in a negative way.
- Regularly sharpen your knife – Depending on how much you use your knives regular sharpening is always advised. Constant use of a knife slowly dulls the edge and reduces its cutting power. To prevent your knife from dulling regular sharpening is encouraged.
- Avoid using your knife on very hard surfaces – Using your
knife on hard surfaces like glass, marble and other metals is ill advised. Doing this might damage your knife to the point where it can no longer be repaired. That is the reason why the use of ceramic, marble and glass cutting boards are strongly discouraged in the kitchen.
The techniques and ways that were mentioned in this article are just a couple of the many ways to take care and store your knives. Again it is always important to educate yourself with the proper knife handling techniques to prolong your knife’s life and to keep yourself safe. We hope you learned something from us today. We’ll keep on posting and we hope that you’ll keep on reading.